Saturday, April 30, 2011

Bee Block and Vintage Singer

Here is my block for the Aqua and Red Bee for me. It's the block I've asked the other girls to make for me too. This is just about the last of my Bubble Gum Basics. Oh how I loved that fabric. I chose a few Kona solids for the background color of the blocks. Kona Coal, Medium Grey and Ash.


 For this block I used Kona Ash.


 A few weeks ago I found this little piece of awesomeness at a local thrift shop. She was $35 bucks. And like so many of these vintage machines, she runs great. So nice and solid. And I can't believe I'm saying this but it has better tension than my Bernina and I didn't even adjust it.


 She was made in 1953 in Scotland.


I love the pictures in these old manuals. Oh, i think I could have been a 50's housewife. Well wait , maybe not, I don't think I'd like cooking, doing laundry or (gasp) sewing in high heels. I'm into barefootin'.

9 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Looks like my featherweight - is it? A steal at $35
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/

Anonymous said...

I love my Pfaff 130 from 1953. My great-grandmother bought it new and someone I was lucky enough to end up with it! It sews beautifully, does zig-zag, and does free-motion quilting with better tension that my mom's (much newer) Bernina. It's the only machine I have and probably the only one I'll ever need! It lives in a wooden cabinet too, and I have all the original paperwork, etc. (It was $354 when my great-grandparents bought it in the Chicago area.)
Old machines are fun!!

Jacque. said...

Hey Erin! Wow...awesome machine! And, I am loving the red/aqua with gray! This will be so much fun...can't wait to get your packet.

Char said...

Love the blocks.
What a steal! I wish I could find one for that price. Lucky you.

Mountain Home Quilts said...

WOW!! Thrift stores are the best! :)

GerryART said...

I love your block. I am just beginning, again, to appreciate quilting with solids. Have begun stashing some kona solids.

How lucky are you to find such loveliness for thirty-five bucks.
My '48 featherweight was assembled in Scotland also.

Hugs,
Gerry

Unknown said...

I love that vintage Singer! You're lucky you found one that works. I found one and the motor works but it's going to need a major tune up before it really works. I also really love your bee blocks. They're gorgeous.

Erika Mulvenna said...

Lovely quilt block. Those little Singer 99K's are one of my very favorite vintage machines, they sew just like butter!

Dana - Old Red Barn Co. said...

You're right! Mine is the exact same machine. You're lucky yours came with a manual as mine didn't! Do you sew with it often?

>

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...